Waste Collection and Storm Damage Reporting

Here's two important topics we wanted you to be aware of. You can also get the latest information at Waste Management Collection • Trash and recycling collection (black and blue carts) will be on normal collection days. Residents are advised that flooded and/or impassible areas will be serviced as soon as it can be done safely. • The Virginia Beach Landfill & Resource Recovery Center is closed until further notice • Normal Bulk Item Collection are suspended until further notice. Crews will collecting damaged items from flooded homes. Items may be placed at the curb at any time and will be collected as soon as possible. Regulations will be relaxed to allow for carpet, padding, and other flooring damaged in the storm to be collected Please call to report the location of these items. • Yard Debris Collection will be augmented with contract support and can therefore exceed normal regulation. Please note: • Residents with normal volume and size material can place them at the curb as usual for manual collection by City crews, including plastic bags of leaves and grass. Materials will be serviced as soon as possible, but may not be on normal collection day. No call is necessary. • Residents with large diameter, or large volumes of tree debris, may also place these items at the curb. These materials will be collected by contractors using heavy equipment. o Please call to report the location of large diameter or volume material. o Please do not place plastic bags with or near piles of large woody debris. These will be serviced by different crews. o Woody debris piles may exceed the normal 4’X4’X4’ size, but please do not block drainage or the roadway. o Contractor support and suspension of normal yard debris regulations will be in effect for a limited time. Residents are advised to place these materials out as soon as possible. • Yard Debris Trailers have been suspended until further notice. If you have any questions you may call 385-4650, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. or DID YOU HAVE DAMAGE TO YOUR HOME? If you've had damage to your home/rental you should take the following steps: RENTERS: Renters should start by calling the landlord. If the landlord can't or won't help, call the city Code Enforcement Office at 385-4421 to come and inspect the property. Code Enforcement will then coordinate with the owner. HOMEOWNERS: should first contact their insurance companies. It's possible one can make simple repairs without contacting the city. If the house needs structural or electrical repairs, permits may be required from the city Permits & Inspections Office. 757- 385-4211. PROPERTY DAMAGE REPORTING: Please go to click on the Property Damage Form tab. The information is used to report to the state and federal governments for potential individual assistance programs. ###

Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us